Thursday, January 21, 2010

Privacy is something most people like to have, but how much privacy do we really have these days? With the advances in technology it is fair to say that privacy is not something we can be so certain of anymore. As I read in the blog Is Facebook killing privacy--on purpose? it talks about how privacy can easily be violated. As long as you are on the internet or involved in social networking it is extremely easy for someone to hack onto your site and find out almost anything about you. As I am reading this blog written by Yahoo, I get the sense that the author's tone is a little skeptical and negative about social networking. He discusses how much privacy has changed over the years and how it used to be an assumed thing and how now people have barely any privacy at all. I believe the purpose of this blog was to get a person to open their eyes to the reality that their information is basically public for anyone who wants to see it, even though most people these days are aware of this and don’t mind. The author does not seem to fond of the whole idea of anyone knowing his information, that’s why he says he is in favor of privacy controls, but he also says he is realistic enough to know if people really wanted to get his information they could. This article interested me because almost everyone I know has a facebook so that is what drew my attention to it, but it also was interesting to realize just how little privacy we do have being involved with such a network. Analyzing this blog was different from what we have done in class because it was a topic I was interested in and caught my attention, and it was also very different from an advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment