Wednesday, February 10, 2010






In the article PETA: How the Messenger Kills the Message the author brings up a valid question, “are their tactics so radical that they are actually counterproductive to what they are trying to achieve?”. I would have to agree with the author in saying yes, some of their tactics are too extreme and offensive and actually lose some of their audience. Although I am a supporter of PETA and what they stand for I do agree that all of the tactics they use to get their message across may not be the most effective way in doing so. Most issues PETA talks about are very important issues that need to be put in the public eye and receive news time. I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with very extreme methods of getting your issues out there, however, when the methods become too offensive it can actually take away your credibility. What PETA did at the graveyard I believe was out of line, and disrespectful. KFC had a good point in saying they do not own a single chicken farm so why take it out on them. Although I see PETA's side to that too, where it is partially their fault because they are buying from the places that do torture the animals, I don't know if I would say it is fully fair to completely try to ruin their image. I am a vegetarian and definitely care about animal rights. This is one reason I think PETA should reconsider some of their tactics because by having any part of their audience backlash it is less people who will take action on these issues which is leaving the animals to keep suffering.




1 comment:

  1. You're right in saying that they lost credibility. Because PETA has non-effective tactics in trying to convince people to join their group. Nicely written blog.

    ReplyDelete