Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Facebook and other Internet sites are a place for people to be able to post their pictures and thoughts with friends. It is open for anyone to use and allows people to be able to communicate easier and share whatever they want with whoever they want. Student athletes however don't have all the freedoms most people have. Student athletes have certain codes of conduct that they must abide by made by either their coaches or schools. Some coaches demand the right to see their athletes pages and if there is something that violates the code they may get the athlete in serious trouble. There have been a few cases in which athletes have suffered serious consequences from pictures they have been in. Some athletes have been suspended or cut all together. One story I read about was the Northwestern girls soccer team. They're were pictures found of some of their team on Facebook where it looked like they were involved in some sort of hazing so the team whole team was suspended. Another article I read was about track players from Slippery Rock University. Facebook pictures emerged of a group of them drinking in a hotel now they are all at risk for serious consequences that could lead them to get kicked off the team. With the rise in technology and Internet sites people have less and less privacy. For student athletes what they post on these sites can get them into a great deal of trouble because they are given no privacy. I am a student athlete and I know the risks I have by having a Facebook. It is important that I am aware of what pictures are put on my page because it puts my team and me at risk. Privacy on the Internet ceases to really exist these days. If a person posts a picture that picture is there for good. It is important for people to know the risks they are at when they post stuff on the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like there really shouldn't need to be "risk" involved when using facebook. People should just have enough common sense to not take pictures at events where things are happening that shouldn't be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same type of thing happened at my high school; not just with athletes though. Our principal even made a fake facebook to try to get people in trouble. I guess it just goes to show that you have to be smart in making your decisions on the weekends if you don't want to have to pay for bad choices later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that students and athletes need to be careful with what they put on their facebook but I also don't think that teachers and principals need to be going on student's facebooks. That seems a but crazy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kelsey, yes people should be aware of what they are putting up on their facebooks but at the same time I dont think people such as principals have the right to go snooping through their pages just trying to get them into trouble.

    ReplyDelete